Black Creek Bridge Replacement
Virtual Public Information Centre
The Black Creek Bridge, is a stone-faced bridge located along the Niagara Parkway in the Town of Fort Erie, and maintained by Niagara Parks. At this time the bridge is approaching the end of its lifecycle, is scheduled to be replaced in the near future.
Niagara Parks held a virtual public information centre on Thursday October 29th from 7 to 8:30pm to present potential options for the replacement of the bridge, and provide opportunity for input and suggestions. The information centre was hosted using the online video conferencing software Zoom and the recording is viewable in its entirety here.
Two options were presented for consideration during the public information centre: one which would see the bridge reconstructed with something similar in dimensions and appearance but with some increase in clearance height; and a second option which would significantly increase the size and elevation of the bridge to allow for larger vessels to pass under.
Resident feedback regarding the project was received through the following channels:
- Online Survey – Emailed to attendees following the PIC & available at niagaraparks.com/blackcreek
- Written Questions & Comments – Received via the Zoom Q & A function during the PIC
- Email – Emails to the Guest Services Centre and Niagara Parks staff
Public Feedback Summary
Thorough review of the feedback collected, led to the following conclusions.
- The majority of residents would like to see the bridge raised in height
- The most commonly requested increase in height was 1.5 feet
- There is a sizable minority who would like to see the bridge remain the same height and have concerns around the impact of larger vessels on the creek & shoreline
- Maintaining the heritage features of the bridge and consideration for environmental impact are important issues to residents
- A number of residents have safety concerns surrounding various aspects of the project, notably the sight lines related to the intersection of Black Creek Rd. and the Niagara Parkway
Next Steps for Replacement
Informed by the feedback provided, our engineering team is currently moving forwarded with next steps for design and construction, based on Option A, presented during the public information session. This approach will prioritize the following goals and considerations for the project.
- Increase in the navigable height for boats with a maximum increase of a target of 18 inches
- Minimal impact to the vantage point of the Niagara River
- Minimal impact to fish and wildlife habitat, land and vegetation
- Delivery of a fiscally responsible and prudent solution (Option A is lower cost)
- Conservation of heritage value of the bridge
- Continued access to Black Creek Road from Niagara Parkway
- Continued access for emergency services with no impact to response time
- Modest roadway and intersection alignment improvements