Oct 20, 2019
Niagara Falls International Marathon
The Niagara Falls International Marathon
The Niagara Falls International Marathon is an annual marathon running competition from Buffalo, New York, United States to Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Originally known as the Skylon International Marathon, it was first held in 1974, then had a ten-year break from 1987 to 1996 before being relaunched in 1997.
Niagara Parks is set to host the Niagara Falls International Marathon on Sunday, October 20. Voted one of the most scenic marathons in Canada, over 3,900 participants are scheduled to compete in the bi-national running event. The Niagara Parks and the Niagara Parkway will serve as a key route for participants, including hosting the finish line at the brink of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, where spectators, friends and families can come out to support the runners.
For full details of the event, please visit: https://niagarafallsmarathon.com/.
To help facilitate the race, the following road closures are scheduled along sections of the Niagara Parkway and Upper Rapids Boulevard on Sunday, October 20:
- The Niagara Parkway will be closed from Old Fort Erie to Upper Rapids Boulevard, beginning at 6 a.m., and will be re-opened as the last participant runs past each adjoining intersection.
- The northbound lanes of the Niagara Parkway from Upper Rapids Boulevard to Murray Street will be closed from 6 a.m. to approximately 6 p.m., with the southbound lanes of the Niagara Parkway between Murray Street and Upper Rapids Boulevard remaining open to allow for southbound traffic only.
- The eastbound lanes of Upper Rapids Boulevard will be closed from 6 a.m., to approximately 6 p.m., with the westbound lanes of Upper Rapids Boulevard remaining open to allow traffic from the Niagara Parkway to access Portage Road.
- Vehicular access to Dufferin Islands will be closed for the day.
- Access to Niagara Parks’ Falls Parking Lot (Lot A) and the Floral Showhouse Parking Lot (Lot B) will remain open during the day, however, Rapidsview Parking Lot (Lot C) will be closed for the day to service the event.
- WEGO bus service will not be impacted.