Under the Niagara Parks Act and its accompanying Regulations 829, the Niagara Parkway is classified as a controlled access highway and falls under Section 38 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act.  As such, permits are required for adjacent land owners and contractors for various uses of Parkway and surrounding properties.

The following are some of the items that require permits under The Niagara Parks Act and Regulations and section 38 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act:

  • Access Permits
  • Bait Permits
  • Fruit Stand Permits
  • Heavy Load (utilization of Niagara Parkway)
  • Shorewell and Waterline Permits
  • Sign Permits
  • Underground Utility Permits

If you are contemplating any actions covered by the above noted legislation, please complete and submit a Permit Application Form to properties@niagaraparks.com.

It is important to note NPC’s jurisdiction in some cases extends 800 metres beyond NPC’s boundary.

When beginning the process of obtaining a permit, individuals are reminded they should also be contacting all other governing authorities, to ensure all requisite local, provincial and federal laws/regulations/guidelines are followed.

Access Permits

An access permit is required any time a new access is being considered, existing access is being changed or land use of the property being changed.

Bait Permits

This type of permit covers such activities as catching minnows for commercial sale as well as aerial and hand baiting to prevent the spread of diseases in animals such as rabies vaccine for raccoons.

Fruit Stand Permits

Under the authority of Section 38 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act, permits are required for anyone wishing to erect fruit stands adjacent to NPC land.  These fruit stands will only be permitted to property owners of adjacent land that is abutting NPC lands.

Heavy or Oversized Load Permits

Permits are issued when the Niagara Parkway is the only means of transporting a heavy load from origin to destination.  The parkway is utilized for the shortest distance possible between these points.

Shorewell and Waterline Permits

In areas where there is no municipal water service, adjacent homeowners may obtain a shorewell permit for their individual needs.  Adjacent property owners/farms requiring water lines for irrigation purposes will also require a permit from NPC.

***Due to the proximity of work to the Niagara River, it is imperative that the homeowner and their contractors contact the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority to receive appropriate instruction on sediment control and other environmental matters during and after project work.

Sign Permits

By virtue of The Niagara Parks Act, it Regulations 829 and Section 38 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act (Sec. 38), permits are required for anyone wishing to erect a permanent or temporary sign within 400 metres of NPC lands.  The Niagara Parks Commission also has a Visual Identity Policy, providing guidelines on setbacks, size, and design which will need to be adhered to.

Underground Utility Permits

When an underground service is being installed on or across NPC lands, a permit is required.  Often these permits are handled directly by the utility company.