Niagara Parks and the Chippawa Branch 396 of the Royal Canadian Legion will hold a commemorative ceremony to honour those who served on the Chippawa Battlefield on Wednesday, July 5 at 7 p.m., at the Chippawa Battlefield Monument.
Fought on July 5, 1814, the Battle of Chippawa was the opening engagement of the Niagara campaign, the longest and bloodiest military operation of the War of 1812. Each year on July 5, a memorial service is held to honour the legacy of those who fell in service of their nation. This pivotal battle resulted in the fatalities of 200 American, British, Canadian and Native warriors allied to both sides, most of whom are thought to have been buried at the site. The Battle marked the first time American regulars faced British regulars in a stand-up military action and many historians cite Chippawa as the birthplace of the modern American army.
A focal point of the Battlefield Park is the memorial cairn, dedicated to the memory of the regiments and First Nations warriors who fought in this battle. The cairn is also a symbol representing the lasting peace that has prevailed between Canada and the United States since the War of 1812. The monument is constructed of dolomite limestone donated by Fort Niagara (Youngstown, NY), another key site in the War of 1812 located directly across the river from Fort George (Niagara-on-the-Lake).
Niagara Parks acquired the site of the Battle of Chippawa in 1995 and has preserved 121 hectares of this last remaining War of 1812 battlefield. Located on the Niagara Parkway, south of the Village of Chippawa,interpretive panels along the self-guided walking tour explain the timeline and events of this important battle.
For more information, please contact:
Tony Baldinelli, Senior Manager, Communications and Stakeholder Relations
(905) 356-2241 ext. 2206