The Laura Secord Homestead
Home of Canada's Most Famous Heroine
During the war of 1812, a brave woman set out on a perilous journey in the service of her country and stepped forever into the history and folklore of Niagara. Travel back in time to the lovingly restored Laura Secord Homestead and be enchanted by stories of her adventures and surroundings as interpreted by authentically costumed guides.
Guided tours are provided by qualified costumed interpreters, providing information about this historic house and the history of the area. Light refreshments, ice cream, Laura Secord chocolates and a selection of quality souvenirs are available.
Niagara Parks is preparing to celebrate the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. Plans are being made for special events beginning in 2012 - visit the official Visit 1812 website for updates on this important milestone shared by Canada and the United States of America - Celebrating 200 Years of Peace.
Children 5 and under are FREE at all Niagara Parks attractions.
Free parking is available for visitors. For group tours, please contact our group sales department at 1-877-642-7275 ext.2
Facts & Figures
The Laura Secord Homestead was:
- the residence of Canadian heroine Laura Secord from 1803 to 1835;
- ransacked by invading American soldiers during the Battle of Queenston Heights in October of 1812, during the War of 1812;
- the starting point of Laura Secord's perilous 32-kilometre (20 mile) journey to warn the British of an imminent American surprise attack in June of 1813 during the War of 1812;
- restored and furnished with original furniture by the Laura Secord Candy Company in 1971 and gifted to The Niagara Parks Commission in 1998; and
- in the pleasant village of Queenston, just off the scenic Niagara Parkway conveniently located minutes away from a WEGO bus stop in Queenston Heights Park and a short walk away from the Bruce Trail and the Niagara River Recreation Trail.
29 Queenston Street, Queenston, (905) 262-4851
Upcoming Heritage Events
August 15Come join a popular tradition within the walls of the old stone fort to hear the eerie stories of the ghosts of Canada’s bloodiest battlefield. Ghost Tours are led by period costumed staff with lanterns through the fort, and lasts about 30-45 minutes. Tours start from the Picnic Pavilion at the back of the Old Fort Erie Welcome Centre. Arrive early to purchase tickets! Admission: $5 per person (cash only). Tele: 905-871-0540.