Niagara Parks Nature Areas
This popular area is 10 acres of paradise - a quiet, secluded park containing several small islands connected by small bridges and footpaths. Dufferin Islands is home to the "Winter Festival of Lights" from November to January each year, when several animated lighting displays are placed around the perimeter of the islands. Admission is free, but voluntary donations are accepted during the Winter Festival of Lights go to the Winter Festival of Ligths organizers to purchase new displays.
Located just south of the Falls on the Niagara Parkway, between the Niagara Parks Floral Showhouse and the Rapidsview Parking Lot.
The Niagara Glen is a unique spot of beauty deep in the Great Gorge that has been a designated Nature Reserve since 1992. Stairways lead to 4 km (2.5 mi) of paths that wind through a pristine pocket of Carolinian Forest, past boulders left behind as the Falls eroded through the area thousands of years ago. More information is available here.
Located 8 km (5 mi) north of the Peace Bridge that connects Buffalo, N.Y. and Fort Erie, Ontario, on the scenic Niagara Parkway, the Miller's Creek Marina is easily accessible by water and land routes.
The Marina was a former shipyard owned by the Canadian Ship Building Company since 1903. The Niagara Parks Commission purchased the property in 1957 and in 1965 the Commission decided to test public demand for a Marina and installed a timber dock on the south side. By 1968, the boat docking facilities had become so popular that a seawall, gas pump and berths for 54 boats were installed. In 1975, 50 additional slips were added, bringing the total to 135 slips. In April 2007, a private company began managing this facility.
This is the only public Marina on the Canadian side of the Niagara River. Located on the beautiful Niagara Parkway between Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, the Marina is on the Niagara River Recreation Trail close to Legends on the Niagara Golf Complex and a short drive to the Falls.
- 135 seasonal docks
- 16 to 32 foot slips
- gas pump
- boat launch ramp
- picnic area
- snack bar and gift shop
- showers, washrooms
Located at 2400 Niagara Parkway, Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada. For more information call (905) 871-4428.
The Paradise Grove Oak Savannah Restoration area is at the north end of the Niagara Parkway near Niagara-on-the-Lake. Niagara Parks and its partners, Parks Canada, Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority and Niagara Restoration Council were very pleased to receive financial support from the Government of Canada’s Great Lakes Sustainability Fund for this project.
Native plant material was introduced during November of 2003 (1,000 oak saplings) and Spring of 2004 (wildflowers) and is growing well. This naturalized area on Niagara Parks’ lands just south of John Street is showing signs of previous native plant material recovering. Niagara Parks and its partners are very encouraged by this increase in biodiversity. Native grasses will also be planted in this area as part of the restoration activities.
Additionally, our Niagara River Riparian (shoreline) Habitat Management area will be expanded between Paradise Grove lands and Navy Hall along the Niagara River. Initially in this area, grapevines that are growing on shoreline trees will be removed, as well as invasive species such as European Buckthorn. Further updates will be available as other restoration activities get underway.
These ongoing environmental initiatives contribute to the long-term protection and enhancement of Paradise Grove for the benefit of citizens and wildlife. They also aim to sustain important ecosystems along the Niagara River Corridor.